Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I'm Just Not Into Prostitution

There are probably many reasons that a long-lasting relationship isn’t in my future.  Today I’d like to focus on one in particular:  money.  It’s been my steadfast policy to refuse to spend any significant amount of money on a girl.  Sitting on the sidelines, I’ve seen many a guy blow (my take on it) money on a girl only to get screwed over in the end.  I’m a finance major, you see.  I view relationships as an investment.  Like any smart investor, I am looking for a good return on that investment.  Get your filthy minds out of the gutter for one moment.

My belief is that if you spend a lot of money on a girl and there’s a messy breakup (the kind where you’re no longer on speaking terms even), you should consider that relationship an investment which tanked.  Sure, you can argue that you shared good times while together.  Perhaps for some that is well worth the cost; I’m not here to debate that perceived value.  I am here to inform you that I’m a greedy miser who hordes his money like Montgomery Burns.  Gene Younker taught his eldest son the value of saving at an early age.  Perhaps he did this a little too well.  I don’t even spend my money on myself.  What chance could a random girl possibly have?

If that sounds cold and detached, it probably should.  I’ll ask you to reserve judgment before hearing the whole story.  My expectations and hopes for a relationship are different than, well, almost anyone’s.  This is how I justify my position.  Let me elaborate.  It could be argued that the courting process and the inherent expenditures that come with it are really just a more tasteful, drawn-out form of prostitution.  Hold on, stay with me.  We all know guys go after girls with typically one thing in mind.  Some are a bit more direct about it and that’s their only source of motivation.  Now this isn’t a crusade against all men in order to portray myself as the shining white knight.  There are plenty of great guys out there with strictly pure thoughts at the point of initial contact.  Still, there’s a mutual understanding that all roads eventually lead to the same place and guys won’t wait forever to get there.  If we turn our attention to the fairer sex, we also know that girls like to have nice things, a lot of nice things in fact. 

Here’s the natural progression: guy wants to sleep with girl; guy buys girl nice things; the game ensues.  So he’s essentially spending money to get laid.  Sure sounds like prostitution to me, except the jeweler or florist also profits in this scenario.  Hey, why not help a local business along the way, right?  I will concede that this logic doesn’t fit quite as nicely in cases of true love.  In those cases, you are talking about an investment worth pouring some more money into.  However, true love takes some time to develop.  Guys, how many girls have you bought nice, expensive things for that you loved?  I mean truly loved.  What about you ladies?  I’m sure you’ve been more than happy to accept those gifts from a guy you didn’t truly love.

I’m not judging anyone here.  My aim is not to make anyone feel guilty for giving or receiving gifts.  Nor do I seek to suggest that anyone is a pimp or prostitute for merely offering or accepting said gifts.  The process works for all who participate in it and its followers are by-and-large good, wholesome people.  I’m trying to build a case (undoubtedly a poor one, but I soldier on) for myself and why I don’t play this game.  I’m not going after a girl with the aforementioned end result in mind.  When the road twists and turns and I don’t see a physical encounter at the end of the tunnel, I’m not hopping out of the car and looking to hitchhike the rest of the way.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a prude who is averse to all physical contact.  However, I really do see it as more of a fringe benefit.  Girls, your presence and companionship are going to be enough. That is why I don’t feel obligated to maintain my hold on you with material things.  It’s enough that you choose me, out of everyone, to spend your time with.  I can only hope and ask that my choice of you is as equally fulfilling.

2 comments:

  1. This ideology does not ensure a future of solitude. It is impossible that you and I are the only people to fall this far at the end of the spectrum when it comes to spending habits and what qualifies as a worthy investment, for another or one's self. I have actually encountered others with a similar view, but most (in my opinion) have had too many extreme liberal stances when it comes to other situations. Good luck with this. Being honest about it upfront will save you a lot of strife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This works both ways. It's not always the guy who's spending the money, and it's not always the girl who's the recipient. But I don't think that money you spend on a friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend should be considered in terms of cost but rather in whether or not you really wanted to spend it. If you did, there's no use in regretting it, and there should be no sense of obligation on either side.

    ReplyDelete